What is Data Loss Prevention (DLP)?
DLP ensures confidential or sensitive information (like credit card and social security numbers) isn’t shared outside of Slack by scanning for content within messages and files that break predefined policies.
Does Slack have DLP functionality built-in?
No, Slack relies on third-party apps (like Watchtower) to provide DLP functionality in Slack.
How do I implement DLP on Slack?
Watchtower is a Slack bot so you can add it in seconds to your Slack workspace. No additional set up, tuning, or installed agents are required. Request a demo or free trial here.
Does Watchtower work on any Slack plan?
Yes, Watchtower works on any Slack plan - whether free, paid, or enterprise. Unlike other DLP solutions, Slack Enterprise Grid is not required.
How does Watchtower work?
Watchtower is a Slack bot that helps you discover, classify, and protect your sensitive data in Slack. Instantly add DLP and data classification functionality across your Slack workspace.
Our bot identifies business-critical data, customer PII (personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers), and PHI (protected health information) across your Slack workspace, so you can manage & protect it.
Watchtower supports compliance efforts with PCI, GDPR, HIPAA, SOX, and various other regulatory regimes.
- Discover: Continuously monitor sensitive data that is flowing into and out of files & messages in Slack.
- Classify: Machine learning classifies your sensitive data & PII automatically, without prior tuning or tagging, so nothing gets missed.
- Protect: Setup automated DLP workflows for quarantines, deletions, alerts, coaching, and more - saving you time and keeping your business safe.
- Get started now for free - no setup or tuning required: DLP and data classification out of the box, for any version of Slack.
- Enterprise-grade security to keep your data safe. Watchtower does not store or track your messages or files.
- Detect sensitive data in files & messages in real-time across all Slack channels, groups, and direct messages. Get alerted & take action directly within Slack.
- Leverage 25+ pre-tuned, standard detectors of PII out of the box, e.g. credit card numbers, emails, phone numbers, social security numbers, etc.
- Rich analytics to examine all your PII risk, both in real-time and historically.
- Customize which channels & users you'd like to watch, and set permissions for who can receive DLP alerts and what actions they can take (e.g. deletion).
What does Watchtower detect?
Watchtower comes with 25+ detectors out of the box, with the ability to add in custom detectors, rules, keywords, and regexes as well.
For example, standard detectors include:
- Standard PII: Age, Credit Card Number, Email, Ethnic Group, Name, Location, Phone Number
- IDs: Driver's License Number, Taxpayer ID, Passport Number, Social Security Number, Vehicle ID
- Finance: IBAN, SWIFT, CUSIP, Routing Numbers
- Health: ICD, FDA, DEA, NPI
- Network: IP Address, Hardware ID, MAC Address
- Crypto: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin Addresses & Private Keys
- Custom: API Keys, your application UUIDs, and much more.
Does Watchtower scan files too?
Yes Watchtower scans all files & messages. 100+ file types supported (e.g. xls/xlsx, doc/docx, csv, plain text, ppt/pptx, PDF, HTML, etc.). Watchtower also integrates with many SaaS, data infrastructure, and security products like your SIEM.
How do I get started?
To get started with Watchtower, request a demo or free trial below. Please also feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.